Reservations At The Point Logo
RockyPointMx4u Facebook
Resorts Hotels Home Rentals Book Now | Online & secure News Reviews Mexican Insurance

Information about USA Passport requirements to visit Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) and how to get it. Update August/2011.

Note: This article is for information only. Forms and additional details can be found on or calling 877-487-2778

To travel to USA from Mexico or Canada you need a USA Passport or a USA Passport Carnet.

The children of USA or Canada citizens, under 16 years old, arriving to USA from Mexico or Canada may present a birth certificate (original or copy). When minors (under 16 years old) are traveling with only one parent or under the care of an adult, it is required to present notarized parent permission (authorization).

The USA Passport Carnet is an alternative to the traditional passport (book), it is cheaper and carnet size. However, it is acceptable only when you enter the USA by Land/Sea from México, Canada, Bermuda or Caribbean.


As mentioned before, you need a valid traditional USA Passport (book), or a valid USA Passport Carnet to enter USA from Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or Caribbean by Land/Sea.

Note: For USA residents who are not USA citizen or for residents of other countries it is recommended to consult your respective country immigration department before traveling outside the USA.

To get a USA Passport for the first time, is necessary to go in person to any of the more than 9,000 centers, available for this subject in USA. You should take 2 photos carnet size, proof of USA citizenship and identification, i.e. a driver license. One of the most popular places offering this service is the Post Office. If the documents are not damaged or modified you can renew these documents by mail. You can get the application forms via internet or from any post office center. If your passport is damaged, lost, expired more than 15 years ago or when you were less than 16 years old you need to apply for a new passport (first time). All this information can be found on

You can get the traditional Passport (Passport book), acceptable for all international traveling, a passport Carnet acceptable only for traveling into the USA via Land/Sea from Mexico, Canada, Bermuda and Caribbean, or both. THE PASSPORT CARNET IS NOT GOOD WHEN TRAVELING BY PLANE.

Passport and Passport Carnet prices (as of 08/2011)

Passport Book (traditional):
Adult (first time): $135 (110 + 25) *, Renovation $110

Passport Carnet:
Adult (first time) $55 (30 + 25) *, Renovation $30

Minor (under 16 years old): first time or renovation: Book $105, Carnet $40

* Note: If you order the passport book plus the passport carnet for the first time, the total cost will be $165, a $25 saving.
Passports are delivered in 3 or 4 weeks. You can expedite the delivery time at additional cost.


HISTORY (outdated below):

Dear Travelers,

Passports ARE NOT required for US citizens traveling between US and Mexico by land. If you are a frequent Rocky Point visitor, we encourage you to get your passport. If you continue reading, you will see that at some point in 2008, they will be enforcing passports to return to the United States from Mexico.

The United States Departments of Homeland Security and State are beginning their new policies for the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) to the traveling public. The new travel documentation requirements will be rolling out over the next few weeks.
For Citizens of the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda

Beginning January 23, 2007, citizens of the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda will be required to present a passport to enter the United States when arriving by air from any part of the Western Hemisphere.

This initiative is broken down into two phases. Please read below for a description of each phase.

  • Phase 1: Beginning January 23, 2007, U.S. citizens and citizens of Canada, Mexico and Bermuda traveling by air between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport to enter (or re-enter) the U.S.

  • Phase 2: As early as January 1, 2008, U.S. citizens traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), could be required to present a valid U.S. passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security in a forthcoming separate rule. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain acceptable documents for land/sea entries.

The Department of Homeland Security has provided the information above and internet links to accurately relay the Phase One WHTI requirement.
Link to DHS websites containing detailed and accurate information on